Иностранные языки

St Pauls

                             The Great West Door

Is the main entrance on state occasions into the Cathedral and provides the
central dramatic frontispiece of St Paul's. The North Aisle
Located to the left of the Great West door entrance. Areas of interest
include a case containing the roll of honour of 33,000 members of the
Merchant Navy who lost their lives serving in the Second World War and the
monument to the Duke of Wellington by Alfred Stevens who worked on it for
20 years and was still incomplete on his death in 1875. Wellington is
buried in the Crypt. The North Transept
Is where the font is located that dates from 1727. It is made from Italian
marble. The Dome
The area under the Dome is decorated in a compass design. When the Dome was
being built Wren was hauled up in a basket two or three times a week to see
how work was progressing. His son fixed the last stone in position. The
Dome is among the largest in the world. It's main structure is of Portland
stone from Dorset. The Whispering Gallery
Is located above the arches in the dome. It is called the Whispering
Gallery because a whisper against the blank circular wall can be heard on
the opposite side, some 42 metres away. St Paul's spectacular fresco
paintings are best seen from this gallery. The South Transept
Contains tributes to national figures including the explorer Captain Robert
Falcon Scott (1868-1912) who died on the return journey from the South
Pole. There is also an elaborate memorial to Admiral Horatio Viscount
Nelson (1758-1805). The chief glory in the South Transept is the door case,
originally part of the Choir Screen and organ gallery. In one corner of the
South Transept stands the first statue to be erected in St Paul's to the
philanthropist and campaigner for prison reform, John Howard (1726-90). The
Quire
Forms the top of the Cathedral's cross shape and is the most richly
decorated part of the interior. This is where Wren's workmen started
building. Minor Canons' Aisle.

                                  The Organ

Wren called the original organ a 'box of whistles'. The organ has been
divided and enlarged and improved to become the third largest organ in the
country. Although modifications have been made the quality of the sound and
the beauty of the decoration are one of the glories of the cathedral. Such
famous composers as Handel and Mendelssohn both enjoyed playing at. The
powerful trumpets, situated on the West Gallery, are also played from the
organ console. The High Altar
The design echoes the pencil sketch of a baldacchino Wren envisaged as the
focal point of his grand building. The altar is made of a slab of Italian
marble, weighing nearly four tons whilst the cross stands nearly 3 metres
high and the candlesticks on either side, made of gilded and lacquered
bronze coins, stand 1.6 metres high. The American Memorial Chapel
Is located behind the High Altar and was created as a British tribute to
the 28,000 Americans based in Britain who lost their lives in the Second
World War. The Chapel was dedicated in 1958 in the presence of Her Majesty
the Queen and Richard Nixon, Vice-President of the United States. Dean's
Aisle
The effigy of John Donne was the only figure to survive the Great Fire of
1666 intact. As the old Cathedral burned, the statue fell into the Crypt.
Scorch marks can still be seen around its base. The Dean's Aisle also
contains fragments from the Holy Land including a carved piece of marble
from Herod's Temple. The South Aisle
The Light of the World by Holman Hunt is the most celebrated and famous
painting in the Cathedral. It shows Christ knocking at a humble door which,
significantly, can only be opened from within. The artist is buried in the
Crypt.



                                                 The Crypt

Is the largest and most impressive in Europe. Although burials no longer
take place here, some 200 memorials can be seen. Much in the Crypt speaks
of heroism and bravery, but overwhelmingly the tragedy of war is
illustrated by the monuments contained within. O.B.E. Chapel
The Chapel of the Order of the British Empire honours those who have given
distinguished service to their country at home or abroad. Also known as St
Faith's Chapel. Christopher Wren's Tomb
One of the simplest in the Cathedral. Wren himself wanted no memorial.
Nelson's Tomb
Nelson died at the battle of Trafalgar in 1805. His body was preserved in a
keg of naval brandy and placed within four coffins before burial in the
crypt. Wellington's Tomb
Wellington's tomb is made of Cornish porphyritic granite supported with a
block of Peterhead granite. The Treasury
Many of the Cathedral's treasures are kept here. Over the centuries much
has been seized by the state or stolen in a major robbery in 1810. There
are over 200 items of liturgical plate lent by churches in the London
Diocese as well as the Jubilee Cope worn during the Queen's Jubilee
celebrations in 1977.


                                  The shop

  St Paul's Cathedral shop is situated in the crypt. It has a wide range of
merchandise including religious and theological books, children's books,
CDs and tapes of the choir, greetings cards, postcards and gifts such as
stationery, china and glass, T-shirts and sweat shirts, all inspired by Sir
Christopher Wren's great architectural masterpiece.

The shop can be accessed (free of charge) through the North West Crypt
Door, on the left hand side of the Cathedral as you face it. Opening times
are Monday to Saturday 9.00 to 17.00 and Sunday 10.30 to 17.00.


                                  The Cafe

'The Crypt Cafe' is open every day serving hot and cold drinks, a selection
of delicious sandwiches, pastries, cakes and scones. The Cafe is licensed
and serves morning coffee, light lunches and afternoon teas in the unique
environment of the Cathedral Crypt. Group bookings and parties welcomed -
please telephone the Catering Manager on 0171 246 8358





смотреть на рефераты похожие на "St Pauls"